This bike came out really well. I love the way black looks glossed, but I think this is a little too much. I intended to only place a satin varnish on it and used the gloss accidentally. I’ll touch it up with a 2/1 matt/satin varnish via airbrush here once the original coat is dried (I can still smell it).
Now that I have the template hammered out, I can focus on fine-tuning my method so I can replicate it efficiently. I have 12 bikes, 3 more attack bikes, and a Master of the Ravenwing to do for this phase of the commission.
The first major component of my Dark Angel commission for Dave is done. Since I had no experience painting DA let alone Deathwing models, I had to turn to the internet for guidance. And I have to say, I like the results.
Moving forward I’ll have to make some modifications to this method to match my visual requirements. I’m not too happy with the results of the oil-washes. I will need some more practice to get it to behave as it should.
Here’s the first of the pair of riflemen contemptors I’m doing for Dave. I went ahead and knocked out one dread completely as I’m pretty unfamiliar with the Dark Angel scheme and wanted to build some experience since I’ll be doing so many for him soon.
I have to say the DA scheme is pretty boring. They don’t have any additional colors to add some contrast. That being the case I tried to add some visual interest by adding some red lenses here and there and some glowing sections on the abdomen and back furnace. I also did the base in lighter colors to add a little contrast.
Sorry for my lack of content lately. After getting back from the NOVA Open, I went 5/3 for the weekend (100th place), I’ve been trying to figure out what I want to do next. Since I don’t have anything pinned down yet, I’m filling my time with commission work.
My first commission is for 5 Dreads for my pal Dave G. He wants to finish out his Dark Angel army not that a new rulebook is en route.
Here they are:
1 pair of Riflemen Contemptors
1 pair Chaplain Dreadnoughts
1 Veteran Contemptor
The three Contemptor pattern dreads were built by resident assembly Swami Michael F. (Chewie) for Dave, while the chaplain dreads were built and magnetized by me last year.
I’ll be doing the Vet Contemptor last as Dave wants him done in 1st company (Deathwing) bone white. God help me…
Sorry I’ve been so quiet people! I’ve been fairly busy these last few weeks and I’ve had little time to post.
I’ll be making that up today!
First is the final piece to my friend Dave’s commission; Inquisitor Karamazov. Years ago a good friend of mine Jeff painted this piece for his guard army. I hated that model then and I hate it still.
For clarification it’s not the model or it’s design I hate, it’s the excessive detail that gives me fits. This bastard has over 30 purity seals! Seriously?
Anyway, Dave knew that this model would give me fits and gave me all the time in the world to get him done. He then proceeded to use him on me in a game upon delivery. Jerk…
I received 2 additional units commissions from Dave, but they’ll have to wait a while, I’ve a Necron army to finish for NOVA! (More on this below)
After finishing Dave’s commission, I took a swing at the new scythe kit for the ‘Crons. I have to tell you, this was the EASIEST kit to put together. It’s like it was designed for the paint-then-assemble method that I use for this scheme.
And here’s the best part, the portal/Doom gun fit snugly in place with no need for magnets. So sweet.
Now if only those bases I ordered from Dragon Forge last night would arrive today so I can finish his base…
Finally, it’s time I stopped mucking around and geared up for NOVA. With my local hobby shop closed, I’m going to focus on getting this army and it’s display finished for NOVA.
I did this Librarian for Springfield’s resident 40K guru Tony Kopach for his Astral Claws army. Loth was crawling with detail, but really didn’t take too long to complete (3 days).
I wanted to try my hand at some NMM techniques and they came out pretty good. NMM is not a strong point for me so took this opportunity to get some practice in. The base was left plain as I have no idea how the rest of his army looks.
The only problem I had was with the power axe they designed for him. It’s too small and rather uninspired compared to the rest of the miniature. I recommended Tony do a little kit-bashing and find a suitable replacement. He would look pretty damn bad-ass with a halberd or force staff.
All in all, great mini that was loads of fun to paint. My he rain death upon the heads of Tony’s foes.
I grinded on these bastards for about 11 hours between Wednesday and Thursday of last week to get them finished. And finally they are done and delivered to Dave. I’ve still 4 models to complete for him but this project is just about done.
When I get the last four done, should be next week sometime, I’ll take a few group shots of all the units together.