This thing was a real joy to paint.
I decided to mount tit on a 120mm round to try something new, and I really like the way it turned out. I used my Dremel to grind out the base slots and added some metal plates so I could magnetize the crew to the base.
It had plenty of fun parts, but also just as many annoying/monotonous sections. Having to do all that bone was a real pain, then having to blacken and highlight all those ribbons was even worse. I can say I did end up saving a lot of time using my airbrush to get the priming and base coats done. Doing that with a brush would have been a nightmare!
Since I’ve been painting again, I can see I’m rusty. These last few things I’ve worked on have not been as ‘sharp’ as the work I’m used to completing. A few more units and I think I’ll be back to full speed.
Shawn G. (SoI)
I’m not a very big fan of the current carrion models and they really don’t have a place in this Arkhan host I’ve built so I’ve been hunting for some suitable replacements.
I first went with the giant bats from the VC line and they didn’t quite work either. Then the book got re-released and the Vargheist kit showed up and I knew I found my substitute.
Pretty straight up paint job here. I used my airbrush to prime and get the red basecoat done along with the black transitions. I made the hair bone color to add some contrast. They use all but the metallic colors in my army scheme.
I’ve also taken a shine to GW’s texture paint. That stuff makes basing a breeze and it looks better then the flock stuff I was using. Way more visual interest there. I’m debating on rebasing my army with this stuff. It will likely never happen…
Shawn G. (SoI)